I learned much from my teachers, more from my friends, and the most from my pupils.
我从老师那里学到了很多,从朋友那里学到了更多,从学生那里学到了最多。
I learned much from my teachers, more from my friends, and the most from my pupils.
我从老师那里学到了很多,从朋友那里学到了更多,从学生那里学到了最多。
I was young, now I'm old, and I did not see a righteous man forsaken and his children begging for bread.
我从前年幼,现在年老,也没有见过义人被弃,他的儿女讨饭。
If I am not for myself, who will be? But if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, then when?
我若不为自己,谁为呢?但如果我只为我自己,我是什么?如果不是现在,那又是什么时候?
If a man and his wife are deserving, god's presence is with them; if they are not deserving, fire consumes them.
如果一个男人和他的妻子配得上,上帝就与他们同在;若不配得,就被火焚烧。
If a word be worth one shekel, silence is worth two.
一句话若值一舍客勒,沉默值两舍客勒。
If everyone cleaned his own doorstep, all the streets would be clean.
如果每个人都打扫自己的门阶,所有的街道都会很干净。
If lending were a good idea, then the husband would lend out his wife.
如果借钱是个好主意,那么丈夫就会把钱借给妻子。
If the wine comes in, good sense goes out.
酒一进,就失去了理智。
If two men claim your help, and one is your enemy, help him first.
若有两个人求你的帮助,其中一个是你的仇敌,你要先帮助他。
If you add to the truth, you take something away from it.
如果你往真理上添油加醋,你就会失去一些东西。
If you always fear misfortune, you'll miss out on happiness.
如果你总是害怕不幸,你就会错过幸福。
If you are born an ass, you will die one.
如果你生下来是驴子,你会死的。
If you can't find peace within you, you'll labor in vain to find it elsewhere.
如果你找不到内心的平静,你将徒劳地在别处寻找它。
If you commence a good action, leave it not incomplete.
如果你开始一个好的行动,不要让它不完整。
If you do a person a favor, you'll be his superior; if he does one for you, his inferior; and if neither, you'll be his friend.
如果你帮了一个人的忙,你就是他的上司;如果他为你做了一件事,那是他的下等人;如果两者都不是,你就会成为他的朋友。