Wisdom is what makes a poor man a king, a weak person powerful, a good generation of a bad one, a foolish man reasonable.
智慧使穷人成为国王,使弱者成为强者,使好人成为坏人,使愚人成为通情达理的人。
Wisdom is what makes a poor man a king, a weak person powerful, a good generation of a bad one, a foolish man reasonable.
智慧使穷人成为国王,使弱者成为强者,使好人成为坏人,使愚人成为通情达理的人。
Without pressing too little or too hard, hold tight the reins for he's a fool who would not get value from a borrowed horse.
不要压得太紧或太紧,抓紧缰绳,因为他是个傻瓜,不会从借来的马身上得到价值。
Woe to the man that entrusts his secrets to a ditch.
把自己的秘密托付给沟里的人有祸了。
Women are shy and shame prevents them from refusing a man.
女人很害羞,羞于拒绝男人。
Women are stronger than men, they do not die of wisdom.
女人比男人强壮,她们不会死于智慧。
Women do not drink liquor but it disappears when they are present.
女人不喝酒,但当她们在场时,酒就会消失。
Women in state affairs are like monkeys in glass-houses.
妇女在国家事务中就像玻璃屋里的猴子。
You are not a fully fledged sailor unless you have sailed under full sail, and you have not built a wall unless you have rounded a corner.
如果你没有扬帆远航,你就不是一个成熟的水手;如果你没有拐过弯,你就不是一堵墙。
You can keep away from the rogue, but you cannot keep yourself safe from the liar.
你可以远离盗贼,却不能使自己远离说谎者。
You can take a man out of the bog, but you can't take the bog out of the man.
你可以带一个人走出困境,但你不能带一个人走出困境。
You can't build a barrel round a bung hole.
你不能把桶绕在沙坑上。
You can't put a wide head on young shoulders.
你不能把一个大脑袋放在一个年轻的肩膀上。
You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
猪耳朵做不成丝钱包。
You cannot sup soup with a fork.
你不能用叉子喝汤。
You cannot tell from a man's clothes how much he is making, but you must look at his wife's.
你不能从一个男人的衣服看出他挣了多少钱,但你必须看看他妻子的衣服。